Today, New York City Ballet announced its 2014-15 season. So much to look forward to! Among the highlights:
1. Not one but two new Justin Peck ballets, the first premièring on September 23, the second on Feb. 4. The first will be set to music by César Franck, the second to Aaron Copland.
2. A new work by the corps dancer Troy Schumacher, his first for the company. A very big deal! It too will be revealed on Sept. 23.
3. A new Liam Scarlett ballet, also premiering on the 23rd.
3. A new Ratmansky ballet, to première on Oct. 2, set to Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition. (The choice of music alone makes this an attractive prospect.)
4. The return of Balanchine’s Harlequinade, last performed at the company in 2004.
5. A revival of Jerome Robbins’ Goldberg Variations, last seen at the Robbins Celebration.